7.29.2008

Banana Bread


Tonight I found myself with a bunch of rapidly blac
kening bananas like this. Instead of just put up with the fruit flies, I decided to make banana bread. After a quick trip to the local Tedeschi's for flour, sour cream, and baking powder, I was good to go.

The recipe I used was this:

BANANA BREAD


10 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)

1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup toasted, chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly grease a 9 1/4 by 5 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter.

Puree the bananas, sour cream, eggs and vanilla in a food processor.

Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fixed with a whisk attachment. Add the remaining 10 tablespoons butter and mix on medium-low speed until blended, about 30 seconds. Add the banana mixture in 3 batches, scraping the sides of the bowl and mixing on medium speed between each addition. Fold in the nuts.

Pour into the loaf pan. Bake until lightly browned and bread bounces back to the touch, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.

Of course, I used Egg Beaters instead of eggs, 8 inch pans instead of 9 1/4, and I didn't have any walnuts, in classic semi-hobo fashion. Oh, and I had to do the mixing by hand, which was a joy. Pre-baking this is the mess I had on my hands:
Midway through baking and things are looking (and smelling) very tasty.

1 comment:

Black Crystal Bra Straps said...

I like this post.
Thank you so much for sharing.